My son’s school was organizing ” The School Food Fair” as they do every year. Last year I’ve made a strawberry cheesecake which was literally a success among his friends, so this year I thought I cannot disappoint him either. That’s why I chose the Zebra cake, it is beautiful to the eyes and delicious to the palate ☺.
But before deciding upon this cake I was thinking about a lot of recipes to choose from, until I saw that time was not on my side, it was 11 PM and I was running absolutely out of time.
So I decided to bake the Zebra cake. It needed only a few minutes to pull it altogether, but putting the cake mixture in the baking pan was a little bit time consuming. Nevertheless, thinking about the final product made the process really easy.
Even though I finished at 01:00 AM (and that’s because I started to bake too late), the success achieved on the following day completely paid off the efforts.
Serves 10 portions
Cooking time: 40 minutes (baking) and 25 minutes prepping
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup oil
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
- 3 Tbsp. milk
- Preheat the oven to 180◦C
- With a handheld mixer mix together eggs, oil, sugar, vanilla extract and beat until creamy.
- In another bowl mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt). Add 1/3 of the mixture to the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Add the milk and the remaining dry ingredients and mix until well blended.
- For the brown batter, pour 3 tbsp. milk to a small bowl, add the cocoa powder and mix until there are no lumps.
- Divide the white batter into 2 different bowls. Add the cocoa to one of the bowls and mix until combined.
- In the centre of a round baking pan (Ø26 cm) add 2 tbsp. of the white batter then add on top of it 2 tbsp. of the cocoa batter. Repeat until both batters are finished. You’ll see that after each addition two-tone discs will form.
- Bake the cake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- After baking remove the cake from the pan and let it cool completely on a cooling rack.