As you may be aware now, I’ve shared my passion and love for Asian food and luckily my family loves it too, especially potstickers. I’ve already shared some of my favourite recipes like this one, or this one, or this one.
One of the challenges here in Albania is finding pre-made wonton wrappers, because if you browse the internet all the recipes you can find call for store-bought wonton wrappers. Well, I guess it’s better this way, since I can make my own wrappers, and everything homemade is healthier than store-bought.
I am not too good rolling the dough ( because it has to be pretty thin), but since this summer I’ve bought a pasta machine, making my own wonton wrappers is even faster.
Homemade potstickers from scratch
- For wonton wrappers:
- • 1 egg
- • 1/4 cup water (more if needed)
- • 1 2/3 flour
- • a pinch of salt
- For potsticker filling:
- • 2 cups Baozi meat filling
- • 1 cup water
- • 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- • 1 tsp. sesame oil
- • dipping soy sauce
- Step 1 Start with making the dough for potstickers. In a mixing bowl mix together the flour, egg, salt and add the water. Knead the dough until smooth and elastic
- Step 2 Cover with cling film and let it rest for about 15 minutes
- Step 3 While the dough rests, prepare the meat filling based on this recipe
- Step 4 If you are using pasta machine, divide the dough in 2 equal pieces, otherwise, flour the counter and start rolling the dough with a pin as thin as you can
- Step 5 Use a round cookie cutter or a glass to cut the dough in circles with 8cm in diameter
- Step 6 Add a teaspoon of the filling in each circle and wet one of the sides of the circle
- Step 7 Fold in half while making some ruffles with the top side while sealing the edges, or if you are not familiar with the folding of potstickers, just fold in half and seal the edges
- Step 8 Heat a large pan and drizzle the sesame oil, add the potstickers, water and soy souce
- Step 9 Cover and let it simmer until the water is absorbed. Cook the potstickers until they are sticking to the pan (hence the name ), approx. 2 minutes
- Step 10 Remove from the heat and serve while still hot.Use this dipping sauce to dip the potstickers.