A few years ago I’ve found on the internet a new kind of food regimen called Whole 30 (read the details here). I don’t know how many of you have heard about whole 30, but basically it cuts out of the food diet 5 major food groups and it lasts for 30 days. (diary, all grains, legumes, sugar and alcohol).
Practically the food allowed were just fruits, veggies, meat and fish and some others. It did not seam that hard to me since we Albanians are used to eat stews and for as long I could eat veggies and meat I was just fine.
During my whole 30 (well it lasted 2 weeks since I cannot stay strong to food temptations 😂) I have found some ideas how to add some sweetness to my diet naturally since every kind of sugar including honey were not allowed.
Luckily dried fruits and nuts were allowed, but in moderate amounts. So that’s the origin of my three ingredient energy bites as the following recipe. I have a disclaimer to make here because this is not one of my recipes and I cannot take the credit. Since I can’t remember the source of the information I am not citing the source.
Three ingredients energy bites with no added sugar
- • 1 cup pitted dates
- • 1 cup cranberries
- • 1 cup raw almonds
- Step 1 Add all the ingredients to a standing mixer fitted with blades and pulse
- Step 2 Continue pulsing until all the ingredients are finely chopped. Don’t worry if you see that they don’t come together since it will set in the fridge for about an hour
- Step 3 Cover a baking tray 20cm x 20cm with cling film. Add the grounded mixture in it and pat it firmly with your hands taking care to level it evenly, or you can do it like me, add a teaspoon from the mixture to each hole of a mini muffin tray and pat it firmly
- Step 4 Place the tray in the fridge to chill for about an hour
- Step 5 After 1 hour, take the tray out and if you are using version 1, dip a sharp knife in hot water and cut it in small squares or if you’re using mini muffin tray, take a toothpick and insert it on the side of each hole, you’ll see that the energy bites will pop out easily
- Step 6 Serving size is 1-2 bites as a snack treat