It has been a while now that Halloween is being celebrated in Albania too, well at least in Tirana. The kids now knock on the doors asking trick or treat. Last year I have prepared some mini brownies and bought a lot of candies to give to them. This year I thought to make some cookies, decorating them as sculls, pumpkins, mini green monsters worms etc…
To prepare these cookies you’ll need some cookie cutters in different shapes like, scull, pumpkin, flower, square etc.. In case you don’t have these shapes just use cleaned floured glasses in different sizes and be creative with the decoration.
So back to my recipe, you can use different flavors to the dough, but I’ve chosen vanilla and bitter almond extract.
Colorful Halloween sugar cookies from scratch
- 4 tbsp. softened butter
- 2 tbsp shortening (alternatively use butter)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- few drops of almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (for vanilla flavor cookies)
- 1 tsp salt
- food coloring as per your choice ( I used all the rainbow colors)
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 190 Degree Celsius (or 375 F)
- Step 2 Cream together butter, shortening, egg and icing sugar
- Step 3 Add the flavors, salt and flour and continue mixing with a spatula
- Step 4 Divide the dough in 5 equal sixes ( based on your colors) and color each one of them
- Step 5 Roll the dough in 0.5cm of thickness and cut it with cookie cutters of your choice
- Step 6 Bake the cookies in a tray covered with parchment paper and bake for about 20 minutes
- Step 7 Let them chill entirely before decorating.