I love stuffed zucchini flowers. I have tried several recipes, but successfully failed.
Sever times the crust did not come out crispy, but more like a pancake batter consistency.
This time I have decided to make a different crust for the flowers, using just egg whites and breadcrumbs.
The result? Well, they turned out to be delicious, crispy and the tastiest zucchini flowers I have ever made. I had planned to serve 4 flowers per each, but at the end we just had 2 flowers per each for mom and dad and 6 flowers per each for the kids .
You cannot imagine how happy I was with the result (apart of the portions me and my husband had ☺).
I tried to take beautiful pictures with my camera, but the kids were absolutely impantient to eat them so the best I could get were the below pictures taken with my phone
Apart of the following recipe that I’m sharing, you can choose to upgrade and make the filling with seafood like :
Combination 1 : cooked shrimps, cream cheese, parsley
Combination 2 : Smoked salmon, ricotta, dill etc…
Cream cheese and bacon stuffed zucchini flowers
- 16 zucchini flowers properly cleaned
- 200 g cream cheese
- 100g smoked bacon thin strips
- 100 g pumpkin puree
- 1 bunch parsley finely chopped
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 250 g bread crumbs
- Step 1 Cut the bacon into small cubes and fry it to a non-stick pan. Do not add oil
- Step 2 Cook until crisp
- Step 3 In a small bowl mix together cream cheese, pumpkin puree, crispy bacon and the parsley
- Step 4 Fill the base of the flower with a teaspoon of filling. Do not overfill or they will break while frying
- Step 5 Close the flower twisting the ends
- Step 6 Beat the egg whites until stiff.Add the flour and stir to combine and set aside
- Step 7 Heat the oil in a deep pan or in a fryer
- Step 8 Dip each flower in the egg whites mixture and in the breadcrumbs afterwards
- Step 9 Fry them until golden brown (approx. 2 minutes)
- Step 10 Place the flowers over a plate fitted with paper napkin to drain the excess oil
- Step 11 Repeat with the remaining flowers.Serve while still hot