These savoury mini muffins with roasted red peppers are a delicious combination of peppers with the cheese (pecorino style cheese). I have served these muffins in TEDx event two ways:
1. Olive tapenade version
2. Mascarpone cheese version
To my opinion the first version was the tastiest, nevertheless you can choose each one you like.
serving 24 mini muffins
Cooking time 50 minutes + 5 minutes preparation
Mini muffins recipe:
- 60 ml sunflowerseed oil
- 120 ml milk
- 2 roasted red peppers, peeled
- 75 g hard yellow cheese (pecorino style)
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 200g pitted kalamata olives
- 1 tsp capers
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 anchovie (optional)
- Start a day before preparing the olive tapenade. Add to a blender the olives, capers, garlic, anchovies and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Add the oil and lemon juice and continue mixing until it resembles a paste consistency.
- Store the tapenade to a jar until serving time.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C. In a large bowl addh the milk, eggs, oil, salt, chopped peppers, the hard cheese and mix with a fork until combined.
- Add to the mixture the flouur and baking powder and stir to incorporate.
- Generously grease a 24 hole mini muffin tin.
- Fill with the batter up to 2/3 of the height. Bake until golden brown, approx. 25 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter.
The day of the event, top each mini muffin with a teaspoon of olive tapenade or alternatively with a teaspoon mascarpone cheese or you can do it with both 😆.
Prepare this dish prefereably at the same day of the event since it preserves better the flavour. Top the mini muffins a few hours before serving.