Veal and Pearl onion stew
Have you ever tried to make veal and pearl onion stew? How about to make it in a terracotta pot? Well, if you haven’t tried it before, this is the right time to do it. The only thing that will stress you is pealing of the onions, but trust me, it is worth every tear drop once you taste it☺
Now that the cold season is approaching, there is nothing better than a hearty stew. Luckily in Albania we still follow our traditions of cooking and eating stews. For this specific plate I’ve chosen a terracotta pot which I strongly recommend you to buy one, it improves completely the taste of the dish.
Serving 4 persons
Cooking time: 1 hour 45 minutes, plus the time needed for pealing the onions.
- 4 thick slices of veal ( I used short ribs cut)
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1.5 kg pearl onions
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 4 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- salt as needed
- 4 cups water
- 2 bay leafs
- Optional: cinnamon stick
- Peal the pearl onions and set aside in a bowl covered with cold water.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C
- In a large pot add the olive oil and stir the chopped onion. Cook the onion until translucent and tender.
- Add the veal and sera it from all sides (approx. 5 minutes)
- Drain the pearl onions and add them to the pot, add the spices, salt and stir them well with a wooden spoon (carefully not to break the pearl onions.
- Add the water and transfer the stew to the terracotta pot, place the lid on and set it in the preheated oven.
- Cook the stew for about a hour and half checking every 30 minutes if the water is absorbed. If so, add half a cup of water at a time.
- The stew is done when the onions are tender and sweet. Season with salt if needed.
- Serve with a toasted slice of bread and enjoy.