Double-Baked Black Beans and Bacon Potatoes
Sometimes, it happens to run out of ideas of what to make for lunch, especially when the pantry or fridge is almost empty. This happens by the end of month or before you go out on grocery shopping 😂
I always have some canned beans and chickpeas in my pantry, usually to have them on hand when preparing a salad, just to add some protein. Luckily I had a can of black beans, some leftover bacon in the fridge and pizza cheese. It seemed perfect to bake some potatoes. Follow the recipe of my double-baked potatoes
Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 can black beans
- 2 cups shredded pizza cheese (or cheddar)
- 10 strips of bacon
- 1 tbsp. from the bacon cooking fat
- Optional: pickles or jalapenos
- salt & pepper to season
- Dipping sauces (mustard, mayonnaise, ranch sauce etc…)
- Preheat the oven to 250°C
- Carefully wash the potatoes under running water to remove the dirt. Pierce them with a fork and wrap with aluminium foil.
- Bake the potatoes in the preheated oven for about 1 hour or until softened entirely.
- In the same time, arrange the bacon strips in a baking tray and bake until crisp. Do not throw the fat drippings, we’ll be using it later, just save the fat in a glass jar and store in the fridge.
- While the potatoes are baking, drain the black beans and slice the pickles ( if you’re not using jalapenos).
- After 1 hour (or when the potatoes are fully cooked) remove them from the oven and cut in half, lengthwise. With a spoon, remove almost all the pulp from the centre and put it in a bowl.
- Add the black beans to the potato pulp, season with salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- Fill the potatoes, adding 2 tablespoon per potato.
- Sprinkle on top of each potato half some bacon and pizza cheese. (divide the cheese and bacon in equal portions per each potato half)
- Arrange the potatoes in a baking tray and bake for an additional 10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the potatoes and top with pickles or jalapenos, and a dollop of sour crème.
- Serve the potatoes with the dipping sauces and a cold glass of beer ☺.