Easy Peasy Homemade Quesadillas
Now that you’ve mastered the art of flour tortilla making ☺, you are ready to upgrade your skills and start making quesadillas.
Quesadilla derives from Spanish word queso, meaning cheese, so literally quesadillas are cheese filled tortillas, baked in pan. You can add practically everything you wish in it, but at least 50% of the filling should be cheese. My kids love quesadillas, I also pack them to their school lunchboxes.
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Prep time: 7 minutes
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or any other melting cheese you prefer like gouda, emmental etc…
- 2 cups shredded grilled chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp. pickled jalapenos (you can substitute with green peppers for not spicy version)
- 4 tbsp. sour crème for topping the quesadillas
- 3 tbsp. homemade Taco mix seasonings
- Hot sauce to drizzle on top
- 4 tsp. of butter
- Start by mixing the shredded chicken breast with the homemade taco mix seasoning and warm them up in a pan for a few minutes.
- Layer one flour tortilla and top with ¼ cup of cheese
- Spread ¼ cup of shredded seasoned chicken breasts over the cheese.
- Add some pickled jalapenos, or green pepper slices, or just plain pickles and cover with a second tortilla.
- Repeat steps 1 to 4 for the remaining tortillas and filling and set aside.
- Heat a non-stick shallow pan in low heat and add a teaspoon of butter.
- Place the quesadilla in the pan and pressing down with a spatula cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Flip on the other side and cook for an additional minute.
- Remove from the heat and top with 1 tablespoon of sour crème on top and drizzle with hot sauce, or omit it if you don’t like spicy food.
- Repeat with the remaining three.
- Serve the tortillas while still hot.
To prevent from cooling the cooked quesadillas, just cover them with aluminium foil. Some other combination I do for the quesadillas are:
- Cheese-black beans- sweet corn- cubed red peppers
- Cheese- cooked beef- pickles
- Plain cheese
- Cheese-tomato slices- cucumber slices- chicken nuggets