Avocado egg toast
One of the questions I hear almost every day in my house is : ”What’s for dinner?”
Especially in summer that question is tricky, since no one in my family wants to eat a heavy dinner nor go to bed without eating, so finding the right recipe can be classified as a mission impossible.
Cooking time: 30 min
- 4 slices of bread or bagel or toast bread
- 2 fully ripped avocados (1/2 avocado per each guest)
- ½ of a lime or lemon
- 1/4 cup chipotle* mayo
- 8 tbsp. sliced pickled jalapeños (or any pickled hot pepper if you cannot find jalapeños)
- 8 eggs ( 2 per person)
- 3 tbsp. olive oil (for frying the eggs)
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- Optional: A drizzle of hot sauce (I used Sriracha)
- First of all start preparing the chipotle mayo. Mix ¼ cup of mayonnaise with 2 teaspoon of ground chipotle** pepper or 1 tablespoon or chipotle sauce. This sauce can be prepared in advance and stored for future use. If you cannot find chipotle, you can substitute it with a simple sauce blending the below ingredients:
- 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Slice the avocados and spritz lemon or lime juice on top.
- Spread a tiny amount of chipotle mayo then line the bread with avocado slices
- Heat the olive oil in a cast iron pan then add the eggs being careful not to overcook. The yolks should be runny
- Place the hot eggs over the toast (two eggs for each person) then top with sliced jalapeños and more chipotle mayo sauce. I love to top my eggs with hot sauce too, I used Sriracha as you can see it in the photos, but if you don’t like spicy food you can omit this step.
- Enjoy while warm.
** The chipotle peppers are smoked chilies and they add a smoky flavour to the mayonnaise so I strongly recommend not to omit this flavour combination. If you cannot find chipotle in adobo sauce (in Albania I doubt you can find any) you can easily rehydrate few dried chipotles (fortunately dry chipotle peppers or powder can be found in some specialized stores in Albania) and blend them along with some of the juice. You can store the puree in the freezer to use in other recipes.