I have tried this dish for the first time in Pogradec, Tushemisht to be more specific. When a friend suggested us to try this dish, it seemed to me really odd, because we were used to have trout baked with veggies (potato, carrots, olives) or with slow cooked onions, but never with tomatoes and vinegar.
After tasting it, well, it was delicious and as we do with all the dishes that we liked, we had to do this at home. I’m glad I did, because it turned out pretty similar to the one we had at that small restaurant.
Cooking time: 1 hour 10 min
- 1 rainbow trout (900gr)
- 7-8 fully ripped tomatoes
- 7-8 cloves of garlic
- 200ml apple vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 250° C
- Divide the trout in quarters (or more if the trout is big) so they can fit in baking tray. Place them carefully in a big terracotta casserole (like the one in the photo)
- Chop the tomatoes and put them in a bowl and add the chopped garlic.
- Add the salt, olive oil, sugar and vinegar and stir to combine.
- Carefully pour the seasoned tomatoes around the trout trying not to cover them.
- Put the casserole into the preheated oven and bake for about 1 hour.
- Depending on the tomatoes you are using (how juicy they are) you can end up with a lot of juice in the pan, but you can adjust it by dipping slices of bread there ☺