Simple breakfast cake with oranges and yogurt
Every time I’ve baked a cake, I mean that classic coffee cake, I’ve always failed. I don’t know why this has happened to me so far.
This time I wanted to follow a recipe from an old patisserie book I’ve had in my possession since I was 11 or 12 years old (since 22 long years ago).
Yet I did a modification to the original recipe ( as I always do) using oil instead of butter and added some yogurt which was not in the ingredients list. To be honest, I got lucky on this one since the cake turned out to be delicious and finished within a few hours.
- 3 eggs
- 160g flour
- 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- Vanilla extract, zest of 1 orange
- Optional: chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180° C
- In a mixing bowl beat the eggs, yogurt, oil, sugar, vanilla and orange zest until well combined.
- Sift the flour and baking soda over the egg mixture and continue beating until blended.
- Pour the batter in a greased baking tray and bake it for about 60 minutes until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Place the baked cake over a cooling rack until completely cool.
- Optional: To upgrade this kind of cake, cover the cake while still warm with chocolate chips. The chocolate will melt eventually so spread it out evenly using a spatula.