I have adapted this recipe from a special friend, Ejona of Mandarina, an Albanian food blogger that has inspired me in many ways. She shares a lot of easy and healthy recipes and this one is taken from her blog. Since it seemed a easy and healthy recipe I’ve decided to copycat that, but as I do with a lot of recipes, I have made few twists.
So, I’ve added dried coconut and wheat germs. They turned out just perfect and my kids almost devoured the whole batch.
Being diary & egg free, these cookies are a nice alternative for those who have adapted a vegan lifestyle.
Serving 30-36 cookies
Cooking time: 50 min.
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup wheat germ
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. ground clove
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 3 tbsp. dried coconut
- 1/8 tsp. ground ginger
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°.
- In a mixing bowl put the orange juice & zest, oil, sugar, vanilla and slightly beat with a wire whisk.
- Add all at once the wheat germ, both flours, baking soda, salt and the coconut. Mix with a fork just until the dough comes together (do not over beat)
- Using a small ice cream scoop or alternatively use a small spoon take some cookie dough and put it over a baking tray fitted with baking paper leaving 3 cm space between each cookie.
- Bake the cookies for about 30 min until golden brown.
Since these cookies do not contain any diary products or eggs they can have a long shelf life approx. 3 weeks, but considering their flavour I seriously doubt they can last that long ☺.