Cooking for me is the perfect therapy against stress. I forget everything negative when I’m cooking.
One of my favourite dessert that I love baking and I think that I’ve mastered the techniques are cupcakes especially decorating them. In Tirana is very hard to find good quality or variety of decorating tools, so I have bought mine on eBay or Amazon.
Anyway, long story short I’m jumping to cupcake recipe and I have to say that these recipe has resulted to be as one of my successful ones, both at the office and at home too.
The recipe is adapted from Martha Stewart’s cookbook
Serving 40 cupcakes
Cooking time 1 hour
- 4 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sunflower oil
- 3 eggs +1 egg yolk
- 2 cups milk + 1 tbsp. of lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- vanilla extract
- 1/2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 250gr mascarpone
- 150gr butter room temperature
- 1/2 cups icing sugar
- vanilla extract
- food colourings (as per your preferences)
- Preheat the oven to 180 °. Line a 12 hole cupcake tin with cupcake liners
- In a mixing bowl add the eggs, sugar, oil, warm water, milk and mix until combine.
- Sift all dry ingredients into the egg mixture and mix just until the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Sprinkle the blueberries with some flour and add them to the batter. This will prevent them from sinking into the bottom. Mix with a spatula making sure not to break the berries.
- Fill the cupcake holes in 3/4 of the height and bake them for 30-40 min until golden brown. (Optional: you can top the cupcakes with some chocolate chips for extra flavour).
- While the cupcakes are baking start preparing the frosting. Mix together with a handheld mixer the butter and icing sugar. Mix until the butter is pale in colour and almost doubled in size. Add the mascarpone cheese and mix well.
- Add some drops of food colouring of your choice and mix well. Fill some pastry bag fitted with piping nozzles and set aside to have them ready for decorating.
- To avoid melting the frosting, start decorating when the cupcakes are properly cooled off.
In these pictures I have used rose shape piping nozzles which make decorating even easier and prettier.