The sweet potato has gained a lot of popularity lately due to its nutritional values. I don’t really know why is it called a potato when it is similar in taste to the root vegetable family like beets and parsnip. Anyway, I am not a professional and not going to discuss it further. To me the sweet potato tastes like a very sweet pumpkin. After searching a lot of recipes that include sweet potato, I found this version of Crème Brulee which received thumbs up from my family.
It may seem a bit complicated but trust me, it is worth trying for a special occasion.
Serves 6-8 serving cups (depending how much you are going to fill them)
Cooking time: 15 min prep time, 45 min baking
At least 5 hours to settle
- 8 egg yolks (use leftover egg whites to make these Meringues)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 200 ml double cream
- 1 cup milk (this will be mixed with the double cream)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweet potato pulp ( from boiled or baked sweet potatoes)
- Preheat the oven to 170 ºC
- Put in the blender sweet potato puree with 2 tbsp. of milk and mix until smooth.
- Beat with a handheld mixer the egg yolks with the caster sugar until doubled in size and the mixture is foamy and pale yellow in colour.
- At the same time, put in a saucepan the double cream, milk and the brown sugar until the sugar is almost dissolved but the milk should not come to a boil.
- Add the potato puree, warm cream and milk to the egg mixture and continue mixing so the warm milk won’t bake the eggs.
- Strain it through a fine mesh and fill 6 crème caramel tins (or 8 small ones). Put the tins to a baking tray and fill with very hot water up to 1/2 of their height.
- Bake the Crème Brule 45 min ( after first 10 min cover them with aluminium foil to prevent burning the surface)
- After they’re baked let them cool and store in the fridge for a minimum of 5 hours or overnight if you have prepared them on the evening like I did.
Before serving, sprinkle with some brown sugar and burn it with a torch or alternatively put them under the grill for about 2 minutes until the sugar is burnt.