Pasta Sy- a traditional Albanian Cookie
When I was a little girl I used to eat Pasta Sy (literally- Eye cookies). The jam and the meringue in the centre of these cookies assemble the eye, hence the name of it.
These cookies bring childhood memories to me. I used to eat a lot these when I was a little girl and I still do when I get the chance. Unfortunately, I did not found anywhere the recipe so I tried to guess the ingredients and luckily they turned out almost identical to the original ones.
- 2 egg yolks + 1 whole egg
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 1/3 cuos all purpose flour (out of which 1 cup self-rising flour)
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- Pinch of salt
- Vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk to brush the cookies
- 2 tbsp. of plum jam or any other jam of your choise
Serving 20-25 medium cookies
Cooking time : 50 min.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Divide the yolks from the egg whites (use leftover egg whites to make these Meringues). Add 1 whole egg to the yolks, add the sugar and beat until fluffy and doubled their volume, approx. 5 minutes
- Pour the honey, oil, vanilla and continue to mixfor about 1 minute.
- Sift the flour and baking soda and add to egg mixture. Add a pinch of salt too.
- Mix the batter with a wodden spoon until all the flour is incorporated.
- Take a tablespoon from the dough and shape it with your hands to a medium size ball. Slightly flat it with the palm of your hands.
- Alternatively you can roll all the dough and cut it with a round cookie cutter
- Place the cookies in a baking tray and make a well in the centre (this will hold the jam afterwards). Brush the cookies with the egg yolk.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Six minutes before end, take the cookies out and fill the well with the jam and pipe some meringue batter around the jam (I put a lot of meringue on top so it covered the jam ☺).
- Put the tray in and finish baking.
The meringue will add a lot of flavour to the cookies so I suggest not to omit it.