Easy Meringues with leftover egg whites
Finally I have found the right recipe for Meringues. I have tried different recipes, but always ended with bad results. Now the first thing that comes to my mind when I have leftover egg whites is the following recipe. My daughter loves meringues and every time I bake some, I always try to hide them from her (of course I don’t want her to eat all that sugar at once ☺).
- 4 egg whites (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
Serving 30 small meringues
Prep time: 1 hour 40 min
- Preheat the oven to 100°C.
- Pour the egg whites in the mixing bowl and start mixing until soft peaks form (the egg whites should be at room temperature, this way they will whip better).
- Add the caster sugar and continue beating until stiff.
- Sift the icing sugar and add to the egg whites. Carefully fold it with a spatula taking care not to over mix or the egg mixture will become runny.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and using a tablespoon or a pastry bag shape the meringues leaving 2 to 3 cm space between them.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour and 20 minutes or so.
- The meringues will be ready when they feel dry when touched.
- Store in an airtight container.
Optional: For a better presentation you can add a few drops of food colour after Step 4 .