Oats are my favourite. In fact, I frequently search for oat recipes on Pinterest. One of those is Granola, or better say crunchy granola.
After trying some recipes at last I tried to make one of my own. I mean not following the recipes I found on the internet, after all it is not a rocket science ☺
To some people it may seem exchausting, but trust me, it is worth the effort;
Firstly because you choose the ingredients to use in it and secondly I think it is more affordable to make it at home instead of buying it.
After mastering this basic recipe, I would recommend you to try this Buckwheat granola as a twist of the regular granola recipe.
I would suggest to store it in the fridge because I have noticed that the oils released from the nuts tend to become bitter when storing on the counter.
- • 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- • 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- • 3 tbsp. raisins (in this recipe I used sundried plums)
- • ¼ cup walnuts or hazelnuts or almonds or all of them
- • 3 tbsp. flax seeds
- • 1 tsp. cinnamon
- • ¼ tsp. ground clove
- • ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- •3 tsp. brown sugar
- • 2 tsp. honey
- • 1 tbsp. water
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 280°C
- Step 2 Line a baking tray with parchment paper and add the oats & nuts. Mix well and roast them in the oven for about 20 minutes
- Step 3 Make sure to give it a stir every 5 minutes (to prevent burning and also to ensure a uniform baking). After 10 minutes, add the coconut and stir before returning the tray in the oven
- Step 4 While the oat mixture is baking, start making the syrup. Add the water, honey and sugar to a small pot and simmer in low heat stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or spatula until thick (about 5 to 6 minutes)
- Step 5 When the granola has reached a nice golden brown color, remove it from the oven and add the spices, flax seeds, the raisins. Mix to combine. Pour the syrup on top of it and mix with a spatula to coat all the granola and dried fruits. Spread the mixture to an even layer with 2cm of thickness and return the tray in the oven for an additional 5 minutes
- Step 6 Remove the tray from the oven and let it cool completely. Break the granola with your hands in bite sizes and store it in a airtight container for about a month