Dinner rolls (PreGels)
One of my biggest passions is homemade bread. This passion started almost 10 years ago when my dad gave me a bread machine as a gift. First 5 breads I made there (ok, I admit, 10 first breads 😅) were a total failure, some did not rise, some others turned out to be too dry or too soggy but at the end I managed to find the perfect combination for a savoury everyday bread. I can say that most of the time I make my own bread, its not a rocket science after all, just throw the ingredients in the bread machine following the manufacturer’s order and voila, press some buttons and the bread is done. Now back to this recipe because it seemed to me like I was making a commercial for the BM and this is not the point.
These dinner rolls are a combination between bagels and pretzels, they’re the perfect to use as a sandwich bun for the kids lunch box or just to eat them right away.
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 1/2 tsp. dry yeast
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Optional: sesame seeds or sunflower seeds
For boiling bath:
- 3 tsp. baking soda
- 3 tsp. sugar
- 3 litres of water
Serving 9 buns
Cooking time: 2 hours
- Preheat the oven to 220° C. Sift the flour in a large bowl and add all the other ingredients.
- Mix the dough by hand or in a standing mixer (both work just fine) for about 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Add a drizzle of olive oil in the bowl and roll the dough to cover it entirely.
- over the bowl with a damp cloth and let it rest until doubled in size, approx. 1 hour.
- After doubled in size, give it a good punch in the middle to release the air. Divide it in 9 equal parts. Take one roll and shape it like a bagel using your thumb and forefinger. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Let the bagels rise in a baking tray lined with parchment paper for about 30 minutes and in the meantime heat the water for the boiling.
- When the water is bubbling add the baking soda and sugar and boil the pregels 3 at a time for about 2 minutes taking care to turn them halfway on the other side.
- With a clotted spoon remove the pregels draining them carefully from the excess water and put them on the baking tray. Sprinkle with sesame seeds or sunflower seeds and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.