My kids love chicken wings, they could just eat them everyday if asked. The first time I made chicken wings, I deep fried them. Since deep frying is not healthy I’ve decided to bake them, the result? Just heaven. Crispy to perfection and full of flavor. Since then, no more fried chicken wings, plus my kitchen stays clean (frying food on the stove top can be a real mess).
This Sunday we baked some chicken wings and accompanied them with dipping sauces.
You should bear in mind that the secret of crispy chicken wings is to pat dry the wings prior to baking. One of the enemies of crispy chicken is steam, which can be created during baking if the wings are not properly dry.
Cooking time: 45 minutes
For the chicken wings
- 1 kg of chicken wings (250gr per each person)
- Salt and paprika to taste
- 2-3 tbsp. Olive oil
- Ranch sauce (recipe following)
- Mustard and ketchup if desired.
- Preheat the oven to 250°C
- Half hour before baking, put the chicken wings in a baking tray in a single layer. Make sure to pat dry the chicken wings before this step.
- Season with salt & paprika and drizzle some olive oil. Using your hands make sure to uniformely coat the wings with seasoning.
- Bake for about 45 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Make sure to turn them on the other side half way baking.
- After crispy baked take the tray out of the oven and let cool slightly before serving
Ranch dipping sauce
- 200gr of sour creme
- 1 tbsp. mayonaise
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. dried chives
- 1/2tsp. salt
This dipping sauce can be made one or two days ahead.
- Take a glass jar (0.25 lt)
- Add all the ingredients of the sauce, put the lid on and shake well for a few seconds.
- If desired you can add some lemon juice.