Some times I don’t know what to cook for dinner or on weekends, some other times I feel like a master chef in the kitchen, but I’m short of key ingredients for the recipes, making it short, I cannot find a solution either way ☺.
Usually when the end of the month is approaching and the grocery shopping is nearing, I do the inventory of the ingredients I have at home and what I need to buy. This is a very good way to consume what we have and not buy foods that we have excessively at home. Making this I avoid spoiling food and money. The inventory includes even the fridge or freezer besides of the pantry.
During one of these inventory days I noticed that I had 2 packs of ready-made puff pastry in the fridge and some pre-washed sorrel that I forgot to cook ☺
It lit my imagination, so I thought : – I’m going to make a quick pie with sorrel and cottage cheese. I had some cottage cheese and some feta cheese too in the fridge so I started cooking.
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 2 puff pastry packages (thawed if frozen)
- 500 gr sorrel
- 100gr cottage cheese
- 100gr feta cheese
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 250◦C
- Drizzle some olive oil in a pan and sauté the sorrel for about 10 minutes to release excess water.
- Throw the sorrel in a bowl and add the cottage & feta cheese in it. Season with salt if needed. Mix until combined.
- Remove the puff pastry sheets from the fridge and divide them in half (this way you’ll have 4 rectangulars)
- Put ½ of the filling in one rectangular leaving 2cm space from the borders.
- Brush the sides with egg wash and cover with the other rectangular, seal the edges with a fork. For a better presentation cut the upper layer of pastry with cookie cutter (prior to sealing) , or if you do not dispose them, just pick with a fork.
- Repeat steps 5 & 6 for the remaining puff pastry.
- Brush both pies with egg wash and bake until golden brown, approx. 30 minutes.